Here comes the second pie recipe I made for the weekend get together with my family. I found this recipe on Pinterest and wanted to try it out. I have a few adjustment to the original recipe. You can find them below. The credit goes to Cuisine Recipe:
French apple-custard pie (Cuisine Recipes)
Preparation: 10 min dough (min. 30 min rest) + 15 min pie
Baking: 25 min dough + 60 min pie
ø 26 cm (10 inch) springform
The recipe is originally (measurements in cups) for a 9-inch tin. I transformed the recipe to fit a 10-inch tin. So if you use the measurements in cups, add a little bit more of everything.
- 2 1/4 cup (285 g) flour
- 3/4 cup (170 g) butter
- 2/3 cup (150 g) cream cheese
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp (34 g) unsalted butter
- 2 lb. baking apples such as Pink Lady or Honeycrisp, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (4–6 total)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dark rum (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 (115 g) cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup (170 g) roughly sliced almonds
- 1/3 (65 g) cup sugar
- 2 tbsp (34 g) unsalted butter, softened
- pinch of table salt
- For the dough, preheat the oven to 390 F (200 °C)
- Mix all ingredients together and knead to a coherent dough
- Flatten the ball of dough and pack in cling film
- Let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes
- Line the bottom of the baking thin with baking paper and grease the sides with butter
- Roll out the dough and line the springform with the dough.
- Add another piece of baking paper and your blind-bake filling
- Bake the pie crust for 15 minutes with the blind-bake filling
- Remove the blink-bake filling and baking powder, puncture the bottom with a fork, and bake the pie crust for another 10 minutes until the bottom is golden brown
- For the filling, preheat oven to 325 F (160 °C)
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add sliced apples and sugar; sauté until apples are soft but not mushy, 8–10 minutes
- Stir in rum and pinch of salt
- Spread apples over the bottom of the blind-baked crust
- Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, cream, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt
- Pour over apples in pie crust. Bake pie until custard is barely set in center, about 30 minutes.
- For the almond topping, combine almonds, sugar, and softened butter in a bowl.
- Make it a crumble by kneading the mixture between your fingers.
- Remove pie from oven; sprinkle with topping
- If the crust of the pie is becoming to dark, cover the crust with tinfoil.
- Return pie to oven; bake until custard is almost set but still slightly jiggly in the center, 20 minutes more.
- Heat the oven to 355 F (180 °C) and bake for another 15 minutes until the custard is set
- Completely cool pie before slicing, or chill pie, then bring to room temperature when ready to serve