So, I was thinking: what should be my first post? Being Dutch, I felt it needed to be something Dutch. Well, this recipe for “boterkoek” as we call it, which literally translates to butter biscuit, is super easy and oh so good! I one time treated my foreign colleagues on this pie and they all loved it. They thought it tasted like shortbread, but more chewy.
That’s exactly what it is: chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Absolutely delicious. I bake it every now and then, especially if I have visitors and not enough time to whip up something difficult. So, I hereby present you my mother’s recipe with a special finishing touch for an even crispier outside. Enjoy!
Preparation: 10 min
Baking: 30-40 min
ø 20 cm (7-8 inch)
- 250 gram butter (1 cup and 1 tbsp)
- 150 gram caster sugar (3/4 cup)
- 250 gram flour (2 cups minus 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven at 200 °C (390 F)
- Mix and knead all ingredients into a dough
- Bake the butter pie for 30-40 min until the top is golden brown
- Take the pie out of the oven, put the milk on top, and with the back of the table spoon flatten the top o the butter pie until it’s nice and even
- Let the pie cool down to harden